Friday, March 23, 2012

#DIYwithIOU update @source4style @iouproject

I really love working on the DIY with IOU project. Everything is starting to come together for our Monday deadline!

Doing a zero waste collection with Madras is a fun challenge. Each pattern piece needs to line up precisely with each vertical and horizontal stripe so that when the pieces are sewn together the garment is flawless. This typically means a lot of waste. To combat that I've created a collection of traditional pieces and their "shadows". I'm cutting out the traditional garments and then using the leftover scrap from the negative space to create additional shadow garments.

For my traditional garments I decided to make some of my most popular woven pieces that from my archived collections, the Jay Shorts, Bahar Pants, and Wrap Hogan Jacket. For the shadow garments I'm playing around with ideas for a shift dress, a vest, and a wrap skirt.

I spent last Friday morning with our fabric cutter Pastor Vasquez laying out some of the traditional patterns I made, making sure each line matched up. He cut my patterns this week, then yesterday gave me every bit of scrap back.

To be sure every last bit of the fabric is used, I've cut off the selvage and have begun knitting it on my hand, one of my favorite quick and easy knitting projects to do.

Today I've been draping additional patterns while Herminia, my seamstress sews the traditional garments. I'll be back soon with more updates and pictures.

Thanks for checking in and for your comments, it's so neat to hear everyone's feedback!

No comments: